Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My current VHF antenna


I currently have my VHF/UHF antenna located in the house.  It is the antenna my Kenwood TMV-71 uses.   It is mounted at about 7 feet on top of a bookcase.  I improved the ground plane by mounting it on a 3x3 foot piece of steel from home depot.


This gives an idea of exactly how challenged it is.   In saying that, it works great against all of the repeaters in the area.  I have no complaints and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Working simplex on the other hand just does not work. I am located with a little bit of terrain around me being on the side of a hill.  I do not think that it is the antenna, but just the placement at 7 feet.

The antenna is a Comet CA-2x4SR.  It works real well mounted to the truck.   The description from the vendor is:
Description: CA-2x4SR VHF/UHF Dual Band Antenna 1.5:1 or less SWR: 140-160/435-465MHz Gain: 3.8/6.2dBi Max Power: 150 watts Length: 40 inches Connector: PL-259 Fold-over hinge included 

The other antenna up there is an old pair of rabbit ears from a TV I have been using on a SDR project.

No comments:

Post a Comment