Monday, November 25, 2013

Temporary VHF Antenna


I put up a temporary VHF antenna to help with connecting to the Sunday Night Digital Net.  We have been sticking to HF communications for this, but now we are spreading our wings to include VHF.  We are running a simplex VHF communications digital net around Tallahassee and I am pretty sure my normal VHF antenna will not cut it.  I guess I did not mention that the normal VHF antenna is inside the house on top of my bookshelf.  Maybe at 8 feet.

Well a while back I purchased a TRAM 1480 collinear antenna.  Was on sale for $40.00 dollars so why not.  


  • It is 8 feet tall
  • Gain is 6db on 2m and 8db on 440
  • 5/8 wave 2 element 2m and 5/8 wave 4 element 70cm
The photo is it mounted on my painters pole supported by the ladder.  The base is 16 feet in the air making the top 24 feet in the air.  

I was able to talk across town (13.8 miles) to a friend with an antenna mounted at 30feet, so I will claim it was a success.  I will be putting it up and taking it down for the next several weeks until I can get a good permanent mount for it, but It did work pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment