Thursday, December 5, 2013

Still more VHF trial and error


I am still trying to get the most out of my VHF antenna.

I am trying to see what I can hear to get the best position for the antenna.  The problem is that the lot is heavily wooded.   I think I am hearing things pretty well, but I am still trying to improve.  I have noticed there is an optimal height.   I thought it was higher is better, but with the trees around and above my antenna site, Too high starts loosing signal as much as too low.  I figure it is problems with the vegetation absorbing the signal.

So how am I testing this.  Listing in to the NOAA weather stations nd making a judgement, better or worse.   So with the placement tonight.  Pole is raised about 16 feet.  Pulled as far from the house to the east as I can.  

Signal strengths:

162.550  -  9+ and clear
162.400  -  9+ and clear
162.475  - 9 and clear
162.425 - 5 and small scratch
162.450 - 9 and small scratch
162.500 - 9+ and clear
162.525 - 9 and clear

No comments:

Post a Comment