Sunday, December 29, 2013

VHF Performance improvements


Well, the first sign of improvement on the new VHF setup came tonight.  I can now hear and exchange Digital signals on 146.500 with both Tom and Dave.   I have had success in the past doing digital simplex with Dave, but before tonight, I have not been able to send or hear Tom.   Success came tonight.  Could send and receive pretty well.

With Dave I could hear his signal as low as 10 watts.  He is 10.1 miles according to QRZ.  This is not bad in my opinion.

Voice with Tom is still a challenge. He is 9.9 miles according to QRZ.  I could hear him.  Not strong, but very clear.  He could not hear me.  Funny thing is I was putting out 50 watts and he was sending 5.   So the antenna at least is pretty sensitive.  Will have to check everything again to make sure I am not missing something on the transmit.

 It not do well with Richard who is across town from me (13.9 miles).  I could barely hear him above the static floor and he could not hear me at all.   Will have to continue to look into this.

Overall, some good improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment