Sunday, March 23, 2014

10m Hamstick Dipole


I am still playing with  hamstick dipoles.  I ordered a pair of MFJ-1610T ham-tennas and they came in last week.   Got to try them out this morning.   They worked fine.  Got them tuned and throughout the 10m band the SWR was under 1.8:1.  The AA-54 chart shows exactly how flat it is:


So I got the antenna tuned.  The whips finally were set to be 39 inches.  Probably could lengthen them another inch and and get it a little better.

One new thing this time is when I raised the antenna from 8 feet to 16 feet in height, the SWR changed dramatically.  Don't know if this was the antenna, the weather, or just me this morning.  On the 20m version it got better as we raised it.  On this one adding height made it get worse.  Really worse.  I had to lengthen the whips from 30 inches to the 39 inches and that is where I wound up at.

Contacts I made with the antenna were fairly quick and easy.  Easy to Lithuania and Estonia that is.  Had the broadside oriented NE/SW. So with this one I also claim success.

I checked the SWR on other bands:

  • 40m - 7.250mhz  = 10.1
  • 20m - 14.30mhz  =  6.5
  • 15m - 21.35mhz  =  4.1
  • 10m - 28.70mhz  =  1.37
  • 6m   - 50.125mhz=  4.8
This is what it looked like out in the yard:













No comments:

Post a Comment