Saturday, March 8, 2014

More experiments with the 20m hamstick dipole


Played some more today with the 20m hamstick dipole.  It still seems to work which was good to begin with.  Repeatable results always make me feel good.

I first set it up at 8 feet and did some listening.  Reception was fine.  I then raised he antenna up to 16 feet.  Immediately got an increase of 4 S-units on the channels I was listening to.  20m=60'/4=15' for the quarter wave.  Got it above the quarter wave and that probably got it out of the ground effects and flattened out the radiation pattern.I know that that is primarily for transmitting, but I can attest it helped noticeably.

I then tried a contact.  Exchanged info with W1AW-4-portable 4.  The ARRL centennial station operating in Kentucky this weekend.  I will take that.  A little more on this in another post since it was my first contact doing a split.

I also experimented with the 20m dipole on 6m.  Here is the graph:

Not a great graph since everything is around 3, but definitely workable and the 590 can tune that all day long.  Looked to contact someone on 6 with no luck since I always find the band dead, but I was able to activate the 6m repeater so I claim it works.



No comments:

Post a Comment