Saturday, March 8, 2014

My first split contact


I made contact with W1AW-4 portable 4.  This is the ARRL centennial station going around the US.  Today it was in Kentucky.  I heard the station on 14.240 and he said who he was and he was listening "up 2".   Ah, he is running a split.  I have never done this before.  

Gerry,  our local club president had told me about splits when while we were talking (ok, while he was telling several of us new hams one day about contesting).   But because he was such a good teacher and I had tried to set up a split before for using the 6m repeater I had something new to try.

Hit the split button on the 590, the the A/B button and set the B frequency to 14.242, Hit the A/B again and called out.  Saw the transmit on 14.242 and he then responded on 14.240.

It worked!!!  :-)    One more thing to be happy about today.

To be honest, I would have been just as happy if he did not call back but I managed not to step on him.  But it working they way it should have makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment