Sunday, March 2, 2014

Why a hamstick dipole


Before I started this set of experiments I asked myself why.  I have played with regular dipoles for a while and they work.  I started asking myself, how do I put up something in a hurry that can work.  Maybe if I want to go mobile, maybe if I want to go to the bring my radio park, maybe just as a backup if my normal antenna falls down.

I also kept asking myself how do I get some directionality from my setup since my location and wife sort of dictate a long wire antenna to be oriented east/west.  It is quicker to put up than a wire antenna in the trees or even on the pole in an inverted V.

I friend showed me one and it looked interesting.   The price was right.  The bracket/adapter was $20.00 and the 2 hamsticks were $15.00 each.  So for around $50.00 I could start playing.

So here we go.   Questions I have at this point are:
How well does it work?
How easy is it to use?
How easy is it to set up?
How hard is it to tune?
Does the tuning of the hamsticks change depending on conditions?
Will the hamsticks work on other bands than the one it is tuned for?
      Will 10m work on the 20m hamsticks?
Since length is important, does a 80m setup work or is it a dummy load as others have said?

Based on the internet research I have done to date, the answers to these questions are all over the place. Based on my experience with the 20m setup yesterday, things look positive.  But time will tell.

The plan right now is to play with the 20m setup.  I have a pair of hamsticks for 75m/80m so we will try them out.  I want to do some more analyzer work to see if 6m on the 20m hamsticks really is an option.  And based on my findings, I may get several other sets for different bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment